The Hartland Public Library seeks a Youth Services Librarian
Hourly range 26 hours part-time to 30 hours full time
Do you enjoy working with children and parents?
Do you want to be an important part of a dynamic professional team
in a beautiful, rural library?
Would you like to work in a community that embraces its library as a space for everyone?
If so, Hartland Public Library is the library for you!
The Hartland Public Library is seeking a Youth Services Librarian to provide exceptional customer service in our library serving the Upper Valley community of Hartland, VT. We’re looking for a community- focused, creative professional who will work closely with the library team to help grow the youth services department. Come to Hartland and work with talented and enthusiastic colleagues; connect with and serve a supportive, engaged community; see an established department through new and exciting changes and challenges; and enjoy each day spent in our beautiful farmhouse-style building, complete with front porch.
The Youth Services Librarian works with library patrons from birth through approximately age 15 and their family members or guardians, maintains a welcoming Picture Book room, Children’s Room, and YA space with activities and up-to-date resources, and organizes and coordinates a variety of programs and services to promote reading and enhance the lives of young library users. The Youth Services Librarian ensures that all children of Hartland are well-serviced by a vibrant library space and a wide range of resources, activities, and other offerings that respond to community needs and promote reading, literacy, research, curiosity, well-being, etc.
- Master’s degree in library and information from an American Library Association accredited program, or similar discipline strongly preferred OR Bachelor’s degree in any discipline and Vermont Certificate of Public Librarianship obtained either before or within two years of employment. Two years public library and/or Children’s experience preferred.
- Knowledge of public library practices and procedures; children’s literature and children’s reading programs and activities; child development; library technologies and common software applications; working knowledge of the laws, regulations, and departmental policies pertaining to library services.
- Ability to be creative and use imagination; read aloud; plan and direct craft and other activities; supervise assistants and volunteers.
- Ability to establish good rapport with children and parents/guardians; pay attention to accuracy; work with frequent interruptions in a busy environment; maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, other organizations, and the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing; handle multiple tasks, determine priorities, and meet deadlines; maintain accurate and detailed records; recognize library priorities and work cooperatively and collaboratively to support their accomplishment.
- Ability to work remote and off site when necessary.
- Familiarity with library management systems, Koha and Aspen Discovery a plus.
- Skills: Organizational/planning, writing, interpersonal/collaborative communication, leadership, resourcefulness, and discretion; computer skills that encompass effective use of word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, email, social media, internet browser, and library software.
See full position description here
Hourly range: 26 hours part time to 30 hours full-time per week, depending on the needs of the applicant. Includes one Saturday a month. At 26 hours the employee qualifies for pro-rated sick leave, vacation leave, and VMERS state retirement plan. At 30 hours the employee qualifies for full benefits including health insurance, dental, life insurance, personal leave, sick leave, vacation leave, and VMERS state retirement plan.
Hiring Range: $18.85 – $20.50 per hour, depending on qualifications.
Interested applicants please submit a cover letter and resume to Nancy Tusinski, Library Director at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 22, 2022.
Applications will also be accepted via walk-in at Hartland Public Library 153 US Route 5 Hartland, VT 05048 or mail at PO Box 137 Hartland, VT 05048. The Hartland Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.